Social media for small businesses must be done in a particular way or it’s a black hole of time.
You don’t want it to be a time suck. You don’t want your employees wasting time.
So how do you generate a positive ROI from social media?
1. Stay focused
Put out interesting and engaging content. This should be of interest to people in your industry. And people who are searching for education, reviews and FAQs about your industry.
Don’t only talk about your products and services. Ask provocative questions.
Set aside 10 minutes a day or maybe 15 minutes per day for one of your employees to monitor social media.
They should look at what others are saying about your business and your brand. They should respond appropriately.
They should also look at customer reviews from around the web to make sure they are positive. Any negative ones should be responded to. Not in a mean-spirited way but with an explanation of what happened.
People appreciate authenticity. Admit your mistakes and tell the story of how it happened and what you’re doing to correct it going forward.
Now that you have a moneymaking strategy here is why you must be on social media by the numbers:
- has over 800 million users
- over 30% of them are over age 35
- 72% of baby boomers are on it.
- Baby boomers are the fastest growing segment joining Facebook. These are the money people.
- most users check it at least once per day usually more often.
- over 300 million users
- answers the question: “what’s happening now?”
- soundbites – great for giving out tidbits, news, live event announcements, provocative or engaging content
- over 135 million users
- 1 million new users every 12 days
- more affluent
- more influential in business
- more educated
- over 490 million users
- king of online video
- video is the most persuasive and trust building communication online
- over 450 million smart phones sold in 2011. 50% growth rate versus 2010
- over 50% of status updates on Facebook and Twitter are done from mobile devices
- over 100 million views on YouTube from mobile devices
- 18X – 18 times more mobile traffic in 2016 and 2011
- over 12 million users and growing rapidly
- 2 million daily users connect via Facebook
- sends more traffic than Google+, YouTube, Linkedin combined
Images are the way we now communicate because of the iPhone and androids. It’s the reason Pinterest surged to the top of social media faster than any site in history.
See these infographics and stats. Click here.
How active is your business in social media? If you’re not on these sites your competitors are passing you by. What’s holding you back?
Leave your comment below and I’ll guide you in the right direction.